This week I found myself with an abundance of fresh, home-grown rhubarb to use. Since it has been mostly grey and wet here in London I could think of no better way to start the day than with a delicious, warming fruit compote full of nature’s goodness, served with natural yoghurt and a crunchy, nutty topping. This scrumptious, healthy breakfast will leave you feeling energised and complete, ready for whatever the day has in store for you.
I used the following ingredients but you can experiment with whatever fruits and spices are in your pantry.
For the compote – serves 2
Rhubarb – 1 large stalk
Plums – 2-3 depending on size
Apple – 1 medium
Blueberries - about half a punnet
Cinnamon and ginger to taste
- Roughly chop the fruit into similar size pieces and place in a saucepan.
- Add a small amount of water and slowly heat the fruit until it softens.
- Add the cinnamon, ginger and natural sweetener to taste. A small amount of sweetener should suffice.
- Allow the fruit to bubble gently until soft and slightly syrupy in consistency.
- Pour into bowls, spoon a generous amount of natural yoghurt or crème fraîche on top and finish with a good sprinkling of chopped nuts.
- Take a spoon in hand and…indulge.
Love Emma xAgave Nectar, Apple, Apple I, Cinnamon, Fruit, Rhubarb, Yoghurt